The Highlands Transit Plan, let by the Heartland Regional Transportation Planning Organization (HRTPO), is a Transit Development Plan (TDP) for Highlands County. The plan will help establish a strategic vision to guide planning, development, and implementation of public transportation service over the next 10 years. The plan is required by the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) to be eligible to receive state funding for public transportation.
The study area will be focused on Highlands County, which includes the Sebring-Avon Park Urbanized Area as designated by the US Census in 2010. Highlands County also includes the Town of Lake Placid and a number of other population/activity centers that should be considered as potential connections for any proposed system for public transportation.
What will be in the 10-year Highlands Transit Plan?
The Highlands Transit Plan is intended to serve as a 10-year strategic document that is developed through a collaborative process based on the community’s vision and is updated every five years. Key components when developing the plan include:
- Evaluating demographics & travel behavior/patterns
- Assessing existing public transportation options
- Conducting extensive public involvement & community outreach
- Identifying and prioritizing public transportation service and capital needs
- Developing a 10-year service, financial & implementation plan
Why is your input important?
Your input will contribute greatly to developing this initial Highlands Transit Plan. Early input received will be used to help establish the community’s public transportation needs. During later phases of the plan development process, the additional public input will be sought to confirm and prioritize alternatives for inclusion in the 10-year service, financial & implementation plan.
How can you be involved?
- Complete a transportation needs survey by March 31, 2017: Follow this link to fill out the survey.
- Distribute surveys and information to your customers and clients.
- Participate in an upcoming public workshop or event
Public Workshops & Events
The first round of workshops held in Lake Placid, Sun N’ Lake, and Sebring in February and March of 2017 gathered input from the public that will be used to identify needs and establish a community vision concerning public transportation. Check back for more events soon.